Bishopsteignton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Devon.
Alternative names: Bishops Teignton, Teignton Episcopi
Other places in the parish include: Coombe and Luton.
Parish church: St. John the Baptist
Parish registers begin: 1558
Nonconformists include: Baptist, Bible Christian Methodist, Plymouth Brethren, and Wesleyan Methodist.
Parishes adjacent to Bishopsteignton
- East Teignmouth
- West Teignmouth
- St Nicholas
- Combe in Teignhead
Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1845
Teignton, Bishop’s (St. John the Baptist), a parish, in the union of Newton-Abbot, hundred of Exminster, Teignbridge and S. divisions of Devon 1 ¾ mile (W. by N.) from West Teignmouth; containing 992 inhabitants. This place appears to have taken its name from a sanctuary or asylum built here by Grandison, Bishop of Exeter, and which was invested with great privileges and immunities, and considered as sacred and inviolable. He also erected a house with a chapel, “presaging what might in future time ensue to the great estate of the clergy, that his successors might have a place to lean and lay their heads unto if haply their temporalities should be seized;” and the remains are still to be seen. The parish is bounded by the river Teign, and comprises about 4000 acres of corn and pasture land; the surface is hilly; the grounds are well cultivated throughout, and there are extensive quarries of limestone, affording compact blocks of various-coloured marble. The living is a discharged vicarage, with West Teignmouth annexed, and valued in the king’s books at £25. 8. 10.; net income, £458; patron and incumbent, the Rev. John Comyns. The impropriate tithes of Bishop’s-Teignton have been commuted for £496, and the vicarial for £215. 7., with a glebe of 8 acres. The church, which has been lately entirely renovated and repewed, is principally in the Norman style, with an enriched western doorway in excellent preservation; near it are the remains of an ancient chapel, and there was formerly a chapel at Venn, in the parish.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.
- County: Devon
- Civil Registration District: Newton Abbot
- Probate Court: Court of the Peculiars of the Bishop of Exeter (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Exeter
- Rural Deanery: Pre-1848 – None, Post-1847 – Kenn
- Poor Law Union: Newton Abbot
- Hundred: Exminster
- Province: Canterbury