Abbotskerswell is an Ancient Parish in the county of Devon.
Alternative names: Abbott’s Kerswell, or Abbott’s Carswell
Parish registers begin: 1607
Nonconformists include: Baptist and Wesleyan Methodist.
Parishes adjacent to Abbotskerswell
- East Ogwell
- Combe in Teignhead
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Abbots-Kerswell, 2 m. S. Newton-Abbots. P. 433
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1840
Abbots-Kerswell, a parish in the hund. of Haytor, union of Newton-Abbots, Devonshire; 1½ mile south from Newton-Abbots. Living, a vicarage in the archd. of Totness and dio. of Exeter; rated at £11 1s. 3d.; gross income £278. Patron, the crown, Pop., in 1801, 389; in 1831, 442. Houses 93. Acres 1,670. A. P. £2,902. Poor rates, in 1837, £160.“A small monastery of Cluniac monks, for which reason it has been sometimes reckoned among the alien priories, but it was only a cell to Montacute in Somersetshire, a house of that order, and as parcel of its possessions, was granted to John Etherege, 38° Henry VIII.”— Tanner’s ‘Notitia Monastica.’
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1840.
A Topographical Dictionary of the United Kingdom 1808
Abbott’s Kerswell, or Abbott’s-Carswell, a parish in the hundred of Haytor, Devonshire, 1½ mile from Newton-Abbotts, and 188 ½ from London, near Torbay; is a vicarage, value 11l. 1s. 3d.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of the United Kingdom. Benjamin Pitts Capper. 1808.
- County: Devon
- Civil Registration District: Newton Abbot
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Totnes
- Diocese: Exeter
- Rural Deanery: Ipplepen
- Poor Law Union: Newton Abbot
- Hundred: Haytor
- Province: Canterbury