Great Barrington is a parish and village on the eastern border of the county, 3½ miles north-west from Burford, 7 west from Shipton station, and 6 east from Northleach, in Upper Slaughter hundred, Stow-on-the-Wold union and county court district, East Gloucestershire, rural deanery of Stow, Gloucester archdeaconry, and diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. It is situated on the river Windrush, which divides it from Little Barrington. The church of St. Bartholomew is a stone building in the Early English style; it has tower, nave, aisle, chancel, and some monuments to the Rice family. The living is a vicarage, value £220 yearly, in the gift of Lord Dynevor; the Rev. Thomas Lewis, M.A., is the incumbent. There is a good school for boys and girls, supported by Lord Dynevor. The seat of Lord Dynevor is situated here, in a spacious park. The population in 1861 was 496; the acreage is 2,983; rateable value, £3,302. The soil is loamy. Lord Dynevor is lord of the manor and chief landowner. Part of Great Barrington formed part of Berkshire until October, 1844, when, under the Act of 7 & 8 Vict., c. 61, it became for all purposes part of Gloucestershire.
Parish Clerk, James Field.
Bode Rev. George Coling, M. A. [curate]
Dynevor Lord, Barrington park
Rice Hon. Misses, Barrington park
Cook Thomas, blacksmith
Dunford Edmund, baker & grocer
Dunford Frances (Mrs.), shopkeeper
Garne Thomas, farmer
Griffen Ann (Mrs.), miller & baker
Jackson Thomas, New inn
Messer Thomas, farmer
Organs William, shoemaker
Porter Humphrey, farmer & miller, Barrington farm
Smith William, farmer
Tovey John, farmer, Barrington downs
Townsend Thos. wheelwright & shopkpr
Waine Richard (Mrs.), farmer
Wakefield Thomas, farmer
Woods Robt. steward to Lord Dynevor
Post Office. — Mrs. Frances Dunford, postmistress. Letters through the Burford office arrive at 8 a.m.; dispatched at 5.45 p.m. The nearest money order office is at Burford
Lord Dynevor’s School, Alfred Baylis, master; Mrs. Ann Clarke, mistress.
Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire, Herefordshire, Shropshire and the City of Bristol, Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1863.