Is a small village and parish, 10 miles west from Reading, 9 from Wallingford, and 45 from London, in the hundred of Moreton, union of Bradfield, and diocese of Oxford. The church of St. Clement is a plain structure, which was repaired in 1849. The living is a vicarage, annual value £80, in the alternate gift of the Rev. William Sykes, and the trustees of the late Rev. Charles Simeon. Here is a school, supported by voluntary subscriptions. The Baptists and Primitive Methodists have each a small chapel here.
The population in 1861 was 385; the acreage is 2,057.
John Hopkins, Esq., is lord of the manor and chief landowner. The soil is clay and chalk.
Letters arrive from Reading at 9 a.m. ; dispatched at 5 p.m.
Holding Rev. John, M.A., Vicarage
Nullis Mr. Isaac
Smith Mr. Thomas
Albury James, wheelwright
Butler William, carpenter
Fuller Henry, baker & shopkeeper
Hancock James, tailor and shopkeeper
Isley Charles, shopkeeper
Lanfear William, farmer
Nullis George, shoemaker
Poole Henry, farmer, valuer, and land agent, Pitt house
Robins John, blacksmith
Shepherd Thomas, farmer
Shepherd Thomas Edward, farmer
Source: Edward Cassey and Co.’s History, Gazetteer and Directory of Berkshire and Oxfordshire 1868.