Hawling is a parish and village, 95 miles by road and 131 by rail west-north-west from London, 10 east from Cheltenham railway station, and 4½ south-east from Winchcomb, in the lower division of the hundred of Kiftsgate, Winchcomb union and county court district, rural deanery of Stow, archdeaconry of Gloucester, and diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. The church of St. Edward is a neat plain structure in the Norman style of architecture, with nave, aisle, chancel, and square embattled tower with 3 bells; there are several mural tablets. The living is a rectory, value £100 yearly, with residence, in the patronage of Henry Thomas Hope, Esq.; the incumbent is the Rev. John Edmund Alcock, M.A., of Lincoln College, Oxford. There is a National school . The Wesleyans have a chapel here. The population in 1861 was 171; the acreage is 1,868.
Rowell, or Roel, is an extra-parochial place, with a population in 1861 of 50; the area is 1,640 acres.
Alcock Rev. John Edmd. M.A. Rectory
Bayliss George, grocer & nurseryman
Fardon William, blacksmith
Humphris James, farmer, Manor farm
Jegg John, carpenter
Silvey James, farmer
Walker John, farmer, Middle farm
Wood Eliza (Mrs.), farmer, Hawling Lodge farm
Post Office. — George Bayliss, receiver. Letters are received from Cheltenham, through Andoversford; delivered at 10 a.m.; dispatched at 3 p.m. Winchcomb is the nearest money order office.
National School, Miss Emma Noakes, mistress
Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire, Herefordshire, Shropshire and the City of Bristol, Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1863.