Saul is a parish and village, 5 miles north-west from Stonehouse railway station, 8½ from Gloucester, and 2 east from Whitminster, in Gloucester county court district, Whitstone hundred, Wheatenhurst union, East Gloucestershire, Gloucester rural deanery and archdeaconry, and Gloucester and Bristol bishopric; it is situated on the river Severn, Gloucester and Berkeley canal and Stroud canal. The church of St. James is an old building, repaired and enlarged about 1850, and has a tower, porch, chancel, monuments, font, and 1 bell. The living is a perpetual curacy, with Moreton Valence annexed, joint value £210 yearly, with residence and 6 acres of glebe land, in the gift of the bishop of the diocese, and held by the Rev. John Fowell Jones, M.A., of Balliol College, Oxford. There is a National school for boys and girls, and a British school; the Wesleyans have a chapel here. The population in 1861 was 607, and the acreage is 500. The soil is clay and sand; the subsoil is gravel. The Rev. George Pickard Cambridge (lord of the manor), P. B. Purnell, Esq., the Rev. Sir William L. Darell, Bart., and the Rev. R. B. Cooper are chief landowners. There are charities of £5 yearly value. The church for the ecclesiastical district of Framilode, recently formed, is situated in this parish.
Clegram William B. esq. Saul lodge
Jones Rev. John Powell. M.A
Boughton Isaac, beer retailer
Clegram William B. engineer & superintendent of the Gloucester & Berkeley canal, Saul lodge
Ely Anthony, farmer, Saul farm
Gower Levison, barge owner
Greenway William, mason
Hawkins Esther (Mrs.), farmer
Pinnegar John Ephraim, boot & shoe maker, & leather seller
Letters received through Stonehouse.
The nearest money order office is at Frampton -on-Severn
National School (boys & girls), Mrs. Hannah Rowles, mistress
British School, John Vince, master
Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire, Herefordshire, Shropshire and the City of Bristol, Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1863.