Bonningale is a small parish, 1 mile and a half from Albrighton station, 5 miles from Shifnal, 23 from Shrewsbury, and 131 from London, in the Southern division of the County, Brimstree hundred, Shifnal union, and diocese of Lichfield, situated on the turnpike road from Shrewsbury to Birmingham. The church of St. Chad is a stone building. The living is a rectory, and the tithes are commuted at £234 yearly, with 12 acres of glebe land, in the gift of Thomas, Charlton Whitmore, Esq. There is a school for boys and girls. The charities are of £1 16s. 8d. yearly value. Henry Ward, Esq., (lord of the manor), Mr. John Oatley, George Robinson, Esq., and the Rev. H. Downing, are the principal land owners. The soil is a rich loam; the subsoil is partly gravel and red sandstone. The population in 1861 was 187; the parish contains 947 acres of land; gross estimated rental, £2,475; rateable value, £2, 201.
Letters through Shifnal. The nearest money order office is at Albrighton.
School. – Mrs. Elizabeth Taylor, mistress.
Bowe Mr. Henry, Bonningale park
Oatley Mr. John A. Woodhouse
Robinson George, esq. Whiston
Vaughton Thomas, esq. Whiston
Weatherby Mr. Andrew, Woodhouse
Bailey George, farmer, Lea hall
Cox Benjamin, shopkeeper
Duncalfe John, horsebreaker
Hayes Ann (Miss), Horns inn
Jones Thomas, Summer house Inn
Morgan George, cowkeeper
Perks James, shopkeeper
Royster Cornelius, wheelwright
Southall Benjamin, farmer
Taylor George F., shoemaker
Weaver Chas. L., farmer, Woodho. farm
Source: Edward Cassey & Co.’s, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Shropshire 1871