Church Preen is a parish and village, 11 miles from Shrewsbury, and 6 from Much Wenlock, in the Southern division of the county, Cound division of Condover hundred , Union of Atcham, and diocese of Hereford. The church of St. John the Baptist is an ancient edifice, once the chapel of a monastic establishment connected with the abbey of Wenlock. The living is a vicarage, yearly value £82, in the gift of Arthur Sparrow, Esq. Adjoining the church is the Manor House, a mansion built on the foundation of a part of the ancient monastic establishment. Arthur Sparrow, Esq., who is lord of the manor, the Earl of Bradford, and the Rev. Samuel Minton, are the principal landowners. The area is 1,155 acres; the population in 1861 was 97; gross estimated rental, £1,356; rateable value, £1,283.
Letters from Shrewsbury, through Dorrington.
Sparrow Arthur, esq. J.P. Manor house
Alsop John, farmer
Evans Joseph, farmer
Evans Samuel, farmer, Mere oak
Jones Richard, farmer
Nixon John, farmer
Price John, wheelwright and grocer
Roberts Benjamin, farmer
Wright John, farmer
Source: Edward Cassey & Co’s, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Shropshire 1871