Caynham is a parish, 3 ½ miles from Ludlow, in the Southern division of the county, Cleobury division of Stottesden hundred, Ludlow union, and diocese of Hereford. The church of St. Mary is an old stone building in the Early English style. The living is a vicarage, yearly value £450, with residence, in the gift of S. K. Mainwaring, Esq. There is a National school for boys and girls. Caynham Camp is noted in history as the place from which Cromwell attacked the Royalist forces in Ludlow Castle. Caynham Court is a modern mansion, the seat of Sir William Curtis, Bart., J.P., who is lord of the manor, and , with the vicar, the trustees of the late Hon. R. W. Clive, Sir Charles H. R. Boughton, Bart., and A. R. Boughton Knight, Esq., are the principal landowners. The soil is clay and limestone. The population in 1861 was 755; the area is 2,483; gross estimated rental, £4,016; rateable value, £3,390.
Bennett’s End is a township, partly included in Knowbury.
Letters are received through Ludlow.
Adams Rev. Charles, Vicarage
Curtis Sir William, bart. J.P. Caynham court
Grove Miss, Pougnhill
Moody Major-Gen. Richard Clement, Caynham house
Williams Rev. Seymour Yates, B.A.
Andrews William, farmer
Bolton George, farmer
Bowen Thomas, butcher and shopkeeper, Bennett’s end
Cook Thomas, farmer, Lady field
Corbett Thomas, shoe maker
Darby Edmund, farmer
Davis James, wheelwright
Edwards William, blacksmith
Mason Richard, farmer
Matthews Thomas, farmer
Medlicott Richard, farmer
Morris James, Bennett’s End Inn, and farmer, Bennett’s end
Small Edward, farmer
Small William, farmer
Source: Edward Cassey & Co.’s, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Shropshire 1871