Buildwas is a parish and village, situated on the Ironbridge and Shrewsbury turnpike road, four miles north from Much Wenlock, eleven from Shrewsbury, and seven from Wellington station, in the Northern division of the county, Wellington division of South Bradford hundred, Madeley union, and diocese of Lichfield; it is bisected by the river Severn, over which is a bridge, having a span of 130 feet. The church of the Holy Trinity is a stone building with a wooden turret; it was rebuilt in 1720. The living is a vicarage, yearly value £110, in the gift of Walter Moseley, Esq. A school was erected in 1856 by Walter Moseley, Esq., for the poor of the parish. There are charities, yearly value £6. Near here are the ruins of an abbey of the 12th century, for monks of the Cistercian order. The soil is stiff clay; subsoil, clay. The population in 1861 was 276; the area is 2,152 acres; gross estimated rental £2,480: rateable value £2,358.
Letters through Ironbridge.
Carrier – William Williams, Friday morning, for Ironbridge and Broseley, returning same evening for Shrewsbury.
Railway Stations, Sidney Curtis, station master.
Little Rev. George Savile Lumley, B.A., Vicarage.
Moseley Mrs. Elizabeth, The Abbey
Moseley Walter esq., Buildwas park
Crowther Frederick, butcher
Downes Thomas, Bridge Inn, and farmer
Evans William, cowkeeper
Evason John, cowkeeper
Fewtrell Edward, farmer
Green Edward and John, farmers
Hewlett John, farmer, Lawless cross
Hughes Thomas, blacksmith
Morgan John, farmer, Abbey grange
Pugh John, farmer
Ridley Samuel and Co., millers (Joseph Shaw, manager)
Source: Edward Cassey & Co’s, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Shropshire 1871