Broughton is a parish, comprising the townships of Broughton and Yorton, seven miles from Shrewsbury, three and a half south from Wem, and 170 from London, in the Northern division of the county, Albrighton division, Wem union, and diocese of Lichfield; it is situated on the road from Shrewsbury to Wem and Chester. The church is a neat building of stone, partly gothic, built in 1858. The living is a vicarage, yearly value £65, in the gift of Viscount Hill. Vicarial tithes commuted at £105; Henry Lister, Esq., is impropriator of the great tithes. This place was occupied and fortified by the Romans. Viscount Hill, who is lord of the manor, and Robert Gardner, Esq., are the principal landowners. The soil is mostly heavy; subsoil, stone and rock. The population in 1861 was 223; the area is about 880 acres; gross estimated rental, £1,931: rateable value, £1,787.
Yorton is a township, and station on the Shrewsbury and Crewe branch of the London and North Western Railway. Yorton villa is the residence of William Nevitt, Esq., and Broughton House is the residence of Mr. John Heatley.
Letters through Shrewsbury.
Railway Station, Yorton, John Ashton. Stationmaster.
Bright Edward, farmer
Heatley John, farmer, Broughton house
Horley John, wheelwright
Lea William, farmer, Yorton
Mollineaux Joseph, blacksmith, and parish clerk
Nevitt William, farmer, Yorton villa
Source: Edward Cassey & Co’s, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Shropshire 1871