Calverhall is an ecclesiastical district in the parish of Prees, comprising the townships of Calverhall and Woolliston, 186 miles from London, 4 from Prees station, 15 from Whitmore station, and 5 from Whitchurch, in the Northern division of the county, hundred of North Bradford, Wem union, and diocese of Lichfield. The church of the Holy Trinity is a Gothic building of stone. The living is a vicarage, of the yearly value of £82, with residence, in the gift of John Pemberton Heywood, Esq. Here is a school for the free education of the children of the tenantry of John Pemberton, Esq. There are also eight almshouses for the poor of the place, erected and endowed by William and Katherine Kerr, in 1724, with about £32 per annum, to which a further endowment was added by the widow of the late John Dod, Esq., of Cloverley. Cloverley Hall, one of the seats of J. P. Heywood, Esq., is a magnificent Elizabethan mansion erected in 1868. The park and pleasure grounds are extensive and neatly laid out. John Pemberton Heywood, Esq., is lord of the manor and sole landowner, and has a beautiful seat here, called Cloverley. The population of the ecclesiastical district in 1861 was 279.
Calverhall township contains 715 acres. Viscount Hill is lord of the manor and principal landowner.
Woolliston, a township, distant between 1 ½ and 2 ½ miles from Prees, contains 765 acres.
Letters through Whitchurch, arrive at 8-30 a.m.; dispatched at 5 p.m.
Heywood John Pemberton, esq. Cloverley
Smythies Rev. Henry Raymond, M.A. Vicarage
Betteley John, farmer
Boot George, farmer, The Common
Boot James, farmer
Fox Joseph, Old Jack Inn
Furber John, blacksmith
Growcott Joseph, farmer
Hassall Sarah, farmer
Jones John, gardener, Cloverley
Owen Thomas, gamekeeper, Cloverley
Ralphs John, shoe maker
Reeves Josiah, farmer and butcher
Whittingham Joseph, carpenter
Woolrich John, farmer
Ray Thomas, farm bailiff
Simons John, farmer
Simons Mary, farmer
Venables John, farmer
Wilkinson Robert, farmer, The Lawn
Source: Edward Cassey & Co.’s, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Shropshire 1871