Bitterley is a parish and village, 4 miles east from Ludlow station, in the Southern division of the county, Overs hundred, Ludlow union, and diocese of Hereford. The church of St. Mary is a substantial building. The living is a rectory, yearly value £740, with residence, in the gift of, and held by the Rev. Charles Walcot, M.A. There is an endowed Free Grammar school, with a yearly income of £40. At Middleton is a chapel of ease. There are small charities of about £15 yearly value. Sir Charles Henry Rouse Broughton, Bart., (who is lord of the manor), the trustees of the late Hon. R. W. Clive, John Knight, Esq., of Henley Hall, and the Rev. C. Walcot, are principal landowners. The soil is mostly strong and fertile; subsoil, stone, clay, and sand. The area is 6,592 acres, and the population in 1861 was 972; gross estimated rental, £7,818; rateable value, £6,576.
Cleeton is a township.
Ledwich, in the priory of Wenlock, was formerly a Roman settlement. Sir Charles Henry Rouse Broughton, Bart., is lord of the manor.
Middleton is a township and manor. Sir Charles Henry Rouse Broughton, Bart., is lord of the manor.
Snitton is a township. The trustees of the late Hon. Robert W. Clive are lords of the manor.
Henley is a township, partly in Bitterley parish. John Knight, Esq., of Henley Hall, is lord of the manor.
Letters arrive from Ludlow at 7-30 a.m.; dispatched at 4 45 p.m.
Crump Rev. Thomas
Knight John, esq. Henley hall
Monck George, esq. Millcroft
Walcot Rev. Charles, M.A., Bitterley court
Adney Wm. farmer, Ledwich, Middleton
Bate Jonathan, farmer, Bedlam
Beddoes John, farmer, Furlongs
Beddoes William, farmer, Warshill
Berrington Charles, farmer & mason
Bowles Charles John, farmer, Crow Leasow, Middleton
Butcher Thomas, farmer, Snitton
Cadwallader Morris, farmer, Cleeton
Chamberlin John, carpenter, Middleton
Cheese Francis, farmer, Middleton
Crow John, blacksmith, Clee hill
Cupper John, shopkeeper
Dodson James, farmer, Bedlam
Edwards Price, farmer, Parkhall
Freeman Thomas, miller, Bitterley mill
Froggatt John, farmer, Hill-upon-Cott
George James, farmer, Bedlam
George William, farmer, Bedlam
Gittins Joseph, miller, Henley mill
Green James Hughes, grammar school
Hardwick Henry, shopkeeper
Hardwick Jas. wheelwright, Middleton
Hammond Thomas, tailor, Middleton
Howell Jeremiah, Angel Inn, Snitton
Hughes William, farmer, Asbach
Humphreys Ann, Round Thorne Inn, Middleton
Lello Thomas, farmer, Snitton
Martin Benjamin, farmer, Kite’s nest
Meyrick Samuel, blacksmith, Middleton
Monnington Richard, farmer, Henley
Nash James, shoe maker
Nash John, carpenter, Stoney lane, Snitton
Nash William, farmer, Snitton
Nash William, carpenter & farmer
Nott William, shoe maker
Patrick Wm. farmer, Middleton Court
Reynolds Henry, farmer, Snitton
Small Caleb, farmer, Meesons, Middleton
Small Richard, farmer, Squirrell farm
Swift Geo. farmer, The Hills, Middleton
Swift Joseph, farmer, Brook house, Middleton
Timmins Joseph, farmer, Middleton
Tomkins William, shoe maker
Tunks Richard, farmer, Bedlam farm
Unitt Andrew, blacksmith
Vaughan Thomas, farmer, Stoney lane, Snitton
Source: Edward Cassey & Co.’s, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Shropshire 1871