Billingsley is a village and parish, six miles south from Bridgnorth, in the Southern division of the county, Stottesden hundred, Bridgnorth union, and diocese of Hereford, situated on the Bridgnorth and Cleobury Mortimer turnpike road. The church of St. Mary was founded and endowed by Herbert de Castello, lord of Castle Holgate, early in the reign of Stephen; it is a stone building. The living is a rectory, yearly value £195, with residence and about 20 acres of glebe land, in the gift of the Duke of Cleveland. The Duke of Cleveland is chief landowner. The soil is a strong loam; the subsoil is clayey. The population in 1861 was 144; the area is 1,285 acres; gross estimated rental, £993; rateable value, £925.
Letters through Bridgnorth arrive at 9 50 a.m.; dispatched at 4 10 p.m.
Jones Rev. Wm. Lewis, B.A., Rectory
Barker John, blacksmith
Birchley Richard, Cape of Good Hope
Butler John, tailor
Chatham Thomas, farmer
Davies Thomas, brick maker
Green John, shoe maker
Griffin James, farmer
Hanley William, farmer, Batch farm
Humphries Edward, farmer, The Hook
Jordin Samuel, farmer, The Bind
Perry John, farmer
Walford William, shoe maker
Source: Edward Cassey & Co.’s, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Shropshire 1871