Bedstone is a small parish, 2 miles north from the Bucknell railway station, 6 from Knighton, 11 west from Ludlow, and 28 from Shrewsbury, in Purslow hundred, Knighton union, Southern division of the county, and diocese of Hereford. The church of St. Mary is an old stone building, and was repaired about 1834. The living is a rectory, yearly value £220, with residence and 35 acres of glebe land, in the gift of E. Rogers, Esq., lord of the manor and sole landowner. The soil is loam; the subsoil is gravel. The population in 1861 was 164; the area 776 acres; gross estimated rental £1,183; rateable value £1,038.
Letters through Aston-on-Clun.
Bennett John, landowner & farmer, Bedstone house
Howells William, farmer, Hall farm
Morris William, blacksmith
Source: Edward Cassey & Co’s, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Shropshire 1871