Broseley (inc. Jackfield) Cassey Shropshire Directory 1871

Broseley is a parish, within the parliamentary and municipal limits of the borough of Wenlock, four miles from Much Wenlock, six from Bridgnorth, thirteen from Shrewsbury, seven from Wellington, and 142 from London, in the Southern division of the county, Madeley union, and diocese of Hereford.  Broseley is a ward within the jurisdiction of the municipal borough of Much Wenlock, and returns two aldermen and six councillors.  The church of All Saints’ is a stone structure, in the Perpendicular style; it was rebuilt in 1845, at a cost of £9,000, defrayed by voluntary contribution.  The living is a rectory, with that of Linley annexed, joint annual value £453, with 12 acres of glebe land, in the gift of Lord Forester.  In 1855 the building for National and Infant schools was erected at a cost of £1,600; it is a handsome structure in the Elizabethian style.  There are chapels for the Baptists, Wesleyans, Independents, and Primitive Methodists.  Broseley has long enjoyed a great celebrity in the manufacture of the superior glazed tobacco pipes, which are in high estimation.  A good trade is carried on in coals; the original Broseley bricks and tiles of a superior quality are made here.  Petty sessions are held every six weeks at the Town Hall.  A fair is held on the last Tuesday in April.  The principal objects of interest in this neighbourhood are Benthall Edge, Coalbrookdale, and Lincoln Hill, the surrounding scenery being most picturesque.  Lord Forester is lord of the manor and principal landowner.  The charities for the entire parish are about £40.  The soil is clayey. The population in 1861 was 4,724, and the area is 1,971 acres; gross estimated rental, £10,057; rateable value, £9,006.
Jackfield is a populous ecclesiastical district, one mile from Broseley.  The church of St. Mary was erected in 1863.  The living is a rectory, yearly value £150, half derived from the Woodlands estate, belonging to F. Harries, Esq., and half from Queen Anne’s Bounty; it has been increased by a grant of £1,000 from the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, aided by £1,000 from J. Pritchard, Esq.; it is in the alternate gift of Francis Harries, Esq., and the rector of Broseley.  This place is celebrated for the manufacture of bricks and tiles; and an extensive traffic is carried on with the lower Severn by means of barges, of the average burthen of 60 or 70 tons; great quantities of ironstone are calcined, and transmitted down the river to Stourport, whence it is conveyed by canal to Staffordshire.  Frances Harries, Esq., is the principal landowner.  The soil is principally loamy, gravelly, and clayey; subsoil, clay and sandstone.
Letters arrive from Wellington through Ironbridge, at 6 30 a.m.; dispatched at 7 p.m.
Post Office. – High street; Richard Rushton, postmaster.  Letters arrive from Wellington at 5 30 a.m.; dispatched at 7 45 p.m.
Public Officers:-
Clerk to the Trustees of Wenlock Turnpike Road, George Potts, High-street.
Sub-Distributor of Stamps, Richard Rushton, High-street.
Assessor and Collector of Taxes, Richard Rushton, High-street.
Registrar of Births and Deaths for Broseley District, William Perrin, High-street.
Carrier to Shrewsbury. – William Williams, from the New Crown Inn, every Monday and Friday.

Bartlam Edward Glover, esq. High St
Bathurst Henry martin, esq. Church St
Brothwood Rev. T. Queen street
Cobbold Rev. R. H. Rectory, High St
Colley Miss, Barret’s hill
Davis Mr. George, Church street
Evans William esq. Queen street
Francis Mr. William, Church street
Hall Mr. William Church street
Hartshorne Frederic Hezekiah, esq. Church street
Johnson Mrs. Barratt’s hill
Jones William, esq. Dinge house
Lee Rev. Henry, B.A. Holly house, King street
Martin Mr. Francis Henry, High St
Maw John Hornby, esq. Barratt’s hill
Nicholas William, esq. Field house
Perrin Mr. William, Chapel street
Potts George, esq. The Green
Pountney John, esq. High street
Prior Mr. Edwin, The Green
Pritchard John, esq. J.P. High street
Thursfield Thomas Greville, M.D. Queen street

Trades And Professions.
Applebee William, miller, Church St
Aston James, coal master King St
Barthlam Edward Glover, surgeon, & coroner for the borough of Much Wenlock, High street
Bentley John, Albion Inn, High street
Broadhurst Thomas, builder, King St
Bullock Samuel, mining agent, Church street
Burnet John & Son, grocers, High St
Burnet Isaac, boot & shoe maker, High street
Burnet J. Abraham, provision dealer, Church street
Burnet William, manure agent, High St
Cartwright George, butcher, King St
Cartwright James, butcher, High St
Charlton Humphrey, wine, spirit, & seed merchant, High street
Chilton Richard, shoe maker, King St
Clayton George, farmer, Rowton farm
Cowley John Henry, ironmonger, Fox lane
Cox Benjamin, coal dealer, Quarry road
Davies John, butcher, Broseley wood
Davies Samuel, butcher, maltster & farmer, King street
Davis George & Francis, brick & tile manufacturers, Dunge works
Davis Thomas, tailor, Delph
Doughty Robert, linen draper, High St
Evans & Goof, mineral agents, Ockley bank
Evans William, artist, Queen street
Evans William, mining agent, High St
Evans Wm. Barnaby, shopkeeper, Broseley wood
Exley William, builder & brick manufacturer
Felton William, farmer, Swinbatch
Foster & Co. ironstone pits
Francis Thomas, tailor, Barratt’s hill
Garbett John, plumber, &c. Queen St
Garbett Joseph, blacksmith & wheelwright, Lower Church street
Garbett William, earthenware dealer, Duke street
Glover Edward, hair dresser, High St
Greatbach Thomas, butcher, High St
Greenhalgh, ladies’ boarding school, Church street
Gwynn Enoch, basket maker, Harris’s green
Harris William, tinman, King street
Hartshorne Charles, builder, High St
Hartshorne Francis, shopkeeper, Broseley wood
Hartshorne Frederic Hezekiah, surgeon, Church street
Hartshorne N. T. boot & shoe maker, High street
Harvey John, grocer, King street
Harvey Thomas, seedsman & gardener, Church street
Hayman John, glass dealer, Barber’s row
Hill & Aston, coal masters, Hay cup
Hill & Co. coal masters
Hill William, butcher, Duke street
Howells Thomas, boot & she maker, Barratt’s hill
Humphries Benjamin, The Talbot Inn, Church street
Humphries John, grocer, & wine & spirit dealer, High street
Instone Richard, grocer & provision dealer, Church street
Instone Samuel, Pheasant Inn, & grocer, Church street
Jones Bromley, farmer
Jones Richard, painter, High street
Jones, Samuel, baker, King street
Jones Thomas, The Elephant Inn, High street
Jones Thomas, saddler, High street
Jones William, land & road surveyor, farmer & contractor, Dinge house
William, Lion hotel, High street
Lake Humphrey, butcher, Barratt’s hill
Lane Thomas, Cape of Good Hope Inn, High street
Langford George, parish clerk, Lower Church street
Lawrence Thomas, linen draper, High St
Leadbetter Enoch, auctioneer, High St
Leadbetter James, blacksmith, King St
Leadbetter John, boot & shoe maker, Church street
Lewis George Warburton, brick & tile manufacturer, High street
Lister John C. W. wine & spirit merchant
Lloyd Adolphus, butcher, Church street
Lloyd Hiram, builder, High street
Mason James, shoe maker, High street
Mason John, grocer, King street
Matthews Richard, New Crown Inn, & maltster, High street
Maw & Co manufacturers of geometrical mosaic, and encaustic tile pavements, Benthall works
Meredith Samuel, blacksmith, Rock
Miles Ann Duke of York, Ocley bank
Moore William, Hand and Tankard Inn, Workhouse lane
Morris John, May Pole Inn, Woodlands green
Morris Thomas, timber haulier and farmer, Coneybury
Nevett Enoch, stationer, High street
Nevett James Brian, tailor and stationer, High street
Nevett Mary Ann, straw hat and bonnet manufacturer, High street
Nevett Samuel Leigh, grocer, Sibby’s lane
Onions George, confectioner, Church St
Onslow Cyrus Edmond, Victoria Inn, and veterinary surgeon, Church St
Perrin William, registrar of births and deaths for Broseley district, High St
Peters Richard, ironmonger, Barber’s row
Plimley Thomas, coal master, Barber’s row
Porter John, wheelwright, Church St
Potts & Son, solicitors, High street
Potts George, clerk of the peace for the borough of Wenlock, and registrar of the Madeley county court, High street
Pountney Edwin, confectioner, Church street
Pountney John, accountant, High St
Powell Richard, shopkeeper, Woodlands green
Pritchard Nicholas & Co. bankers, High street
Prior Edwin, agent, The Bank
Pugh Hannah, glass and china dealer, High street
Rawlins Edward, farmer, Swinbatch
Roden Charles, professor of music, Nora cottage
Roden Thomas, Woodbridge Inn, Woodbridge
Rufus Hannah, King’s Head, King St
Rushton Richard, grocer, High street
Rushton Thomas, ale and porter merchant, Barber’s row
Senior George, millwright, &c., Church street
Shaw John, Duke of Cumberland Inn, Duke street
Smith James, tailor, Chapel street
Smith Moses, draper, King street
Smitheman Rowland, builder, timber dealer, and contractor
Southorn Edwin, manufacturer of the patent Broseley pipes, Broseley pipe works
Stevens John, chemist, High street
Thomas Henry and Son, linen drapers, Church street
Thomas, Mary Ann and Josiah, hosiers, High street
Thompson Patrick, shoe maker, Duke St
Thorn Penelope Jane, encaustic tile manufacturer, Broseley brick and tile works
Thursfield Greville, M.D. surgeon, Church street
Tonkis Richard, pipe manufacturer, Barratt’s hill
Turner Richard, Forester’s Arms, Lower Church street
Watson Thomas, farmer, Barratt’s hill
Watts Isaac, linen draper, High street
Weeks Eliza, Lord Hill Inn, King St
Weeks John, boot and shoe maker, Chapel street
Weeks Thomas, boot and shoe maker, King street
Wilkinson Richard, saddler, High St
Wootton Herbert, butcher, High street

Jackfield.
Davis Mr. Thomas, Lloyd head
Dunnill Mr. Henry P
Staphan Mr. Peter, Lloyd Head
Ball George, Severn Trow Inn
Ball George Francis, Ash Tree Inn
Beard George, boat builder
Beard Thomas, barge owner, Werps
Birbeck Phillip, Lloyd Head Inn
Burnet James, farmer
Bowen Benjamin, Halfmoon Inn
Brown Edward, Summer House Inn, and blacksmith
Burroughs John, manufacturer of ropes, twin, and tarpauline
Burton John and Edward, brick and tile makers, &c., at Benthall
Collis Thomas, Tumbling Sailor Inn, Lloyd head
Cranage Matilda, Duke of Wellington Inn, Tuckiesfield
Doughty Geo. Barge owner, Salthouse
Doughty John, brick, tile, and crest manufacturer, and barge owner, The Tuckies
Edwards Joseph, blacksmith
Evans John, carpenter, Calcutts
Hargreaves and Craven, encaustic and mosaic tile manufacturers, (Henry P. Dunnill, manager)
Harris George, blacksmith
Hopley Enoch, brick and tile maker, Lloyd head
Jones Peter, brick and tile maker
Jones William, brick and tile maker
Jones Wm., Station Inn, Ironbridge
Lawes John Bennet, brick, tile, and crest manufacturer (George Davies, manager)
Lloyd Henry, barge owner, Lloyd head
Lloyd Joshua, shopkeeper, Lloyd head
Mapp Thomas, cement manufacturer, Calcutts
Miles Francis, grocer, Salthouse
Oswell Ann, Boat Inn, and shopkeeper, Tuckies
Roden Thomas, Bridge Inn
Staphan Peter, artist, Lloyd head
Wild Ann, shopkeeper, Lloyd head
Williams Edward, ferryman, Coalford

Source: Edward Cassey & Co’s, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Shropshire 1871

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s