Battlefield is a village and parish, 3 miles from Shrewsbury, and 2 from Hadnal, in the Northern division of the county, Albrighton division, Atcham union, and diocese of Lichfield. The church of St. Mary Magdalen was restored, mainly through the munificence of the late Lady Brinckman, of Sandorne Castle. The living is a vicarage, annual value £234, in the gift of the Rev. John D. Corbet. The principal landowners are the Rev. John D. Corbet and Wm. Sparrow, Esq. The charities amount to £1 13s. 6d. The soil is strong loam and clay; subsoil, clay and sand. The area is 1,000 acres, and the population in 1861 was 81; gross estimated rental, £1,348; rateable value, £1,278.
Letters arrive at 7 30 a.m.
Davies Mrs. Battlefield house
Pigott Rev. Arthur J., B.A.
Mansell Rev. William Surman
Winnall Richard, esq. Mount house
Colley Henry, farmer, Huffley
Lloyd Thomas, farmer, Albright Hussey
Walters John, Lion inn
Wright William, farm bailiff
Source: Edward Cassey & Co’s, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Shropshire 1871