Barrow is a parish, with the township of Caughley and the hamlets of Shirlett, The Marsh, Swinney, and Arlscot, situated on the Wenlock and Broseley road, 2 miles south-west from Broseley, and 2 miles east from Much Wenlock; it is in the Southern division of the county, Madeley union, and diocese of Hereford; the parish is included in the parliamentary borough of Wenlock. The church of St. Giles is a very old building, containing some Saxon remains, and was restored in about 1851. in the churchyard is buried Tom Moody, a famous whipper-in to George Forester, Esq.; the gravestone is inscribed, “Tom Moody, buried November 19th. 1796.” The living is a vicarage, annexed to the rectory of Willey, joint yearly value £30, in the gift of Lord Forester. Here are almshouses for six men and women, with gardens attached, and a Free school for boys and girls of the parish, with an income of about £30 per annum, both founded by a Mr. Slaney in 1612. Lord Forester is lord of the manor and chief landowner. The soil is generally clayey, subsoil, varied; the coal measures extend over a large part of the parish. The population in 1861 was 365; the area is, 3,008 acres; gross estimated rental, except Posenhall, £3,078; rateable value, £2,938.
Posenhall, adjoining Barrow, was formerly an extra-parochial place, but is now a parish in Madeley union. The area is 338 acres, and the population in 1861 was 22; gross estimated rental, £462; rateable value; £439.
Letters are received from Wellington through Broseley.
Cleeton William, farmer, Shirlett
Grice William, farmer, Arlscot
Grice William, farmer, Swinney
Howells George, farmer, Posenhall
Mear William, farmer, The Inett and Caughley
Pitt Thomas, farmer, Posen hall
Smith Francis, farmer, The Inett
Stow Thomas, farmer, The Marsh
Thursfield Thomas Howells, estate agent and agent to Lord Forester
Wright Thomas, farmer, Shirlett
Source: Edward Cassey & Co’s, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Shropshire 1871