Prior’s Lee is a township and ecclesiastical district, in the parish of Shifnal, three miles from the latter place, and four and a half north-east from Wellington, in the Southern division of the county, Brimstree hundred, Shifnal union, and diocese of Lichfield; it is situated on the turnpike road from Shifnal to Wellington, and intersected by the Great Western Railway. The church of St. Peter is a brick structure, rebuilt in 1836, in the Decorated style, with a square tower. The living is a vicarage, yearly value £150, in the gift of the vicar of Shifnal. The Wesleyans have a chapel here. The Lilleshall Company carry on extensive coal and iron works in the parishes of Shifnal, Wombridge, Lilleshall, Wrockwardine, and Aston, and employ about 5,000 hands; the works at Prior’s Lee comprise Landsale coal mines, iron mines, four blast furnaces, extensive foundries and brick works; the works at Wombridge, ironstone mines only; the works at Lilleshall and Donnington Wood, five blast furnaces, extensive collieries, ironstone mines, and limestone working. Lord Stafford is lord of the manor. The principal landowners are Lord Stafford and the Lilleshall Company. The soil is loamy; subsoil is gravel. The population in 1861 was 2,464.
Letters arrive from Shifnal at 7 10 a.m.; dispatched at 6 p.m.
Angell Rev. William, B.A.
Horton T. E., esq., Prior’s Lee hall
Jones Arthur, esq.
Tipton Mr. Luke
Ford Samuel, farmer, &c.
Hughes George, Pigeon Box inn
Jones Alfred Charles, furnace manager to the Lilleshall company
Jones Edward, agent to the Lilleshall Company
Lee Samuel, blacksmith
Lilleshall Iron Co. (Thomas Ellwood Horton, esq., managing partner)
Pascall George, farmer, &c.
Poultney John, Lion inn
Price Moses, shopkeeper
Tipton Edward, accountant
Source: Edward Cassey & Co’s, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Shropshire 1871