Little Barrington is a parish and village, 3 miles west from Burford, 7 south-west from Shipton station, and 6 east from Northleach, on the borders of the county, adjoining Oxfordshire, in Upper Slaughter Hundred, Northleach Union, and eastern division of the county, Gloucester archdeaconry, and diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. It is situated on the river Windrush and on the Oxford and Cheltenham road. The church of St. Bartholomew is an ancient stone building in the Saxon and Norman styles of architecture; has tower, nave, chancel, and 3 bells, and contains monuments to the Grayhurst and Greenaway families. The living is a vicarage, worth £100 yearly, with residence, in the gift of the Lord Chancellor; the Rev. Richard Hodges, M.A., is the incumbent. There is a day school for the poor children, supported by C. Greenaway, Esq. The population, in 1851, was 128, and the acreage is 1,780; rateable value, £1,392. The soil is stone brash. Charles Greenaway, Esq., is lord of the manor and chief landowner. There are charities of £62 yearly value, partly for the repairs of the church, and the remainder given in coals and bread to the poor.
Church Farm and Home Farm are farms.
Greenaway Charles, esq. Little Barrington house
Hodges Rev. Richard, M.A. (vicar)
Dunford Edmund, butcher
Dunford Edmund, farmer, Church farm
Dunford Henry, farmer
Matthews George, farmer, Home farm
Letters through Burford, which is also the nearest money order office.
Day School, Mrs. Mary Stratford, mistress
Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire with Bath and Bristol. Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., 19, 20 & 21, Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1856.