Edgeworth is a township and parish in Bisley Hundred, East Gloucestershire, and Cirencester Union, 5 miles north-west of Cirencester station, and 6 from Stroud. It is in the archdeaconry of Gloucester, and Gloucester and Bristol bishopric. The living is a rectory, the tithes of which are commuted for £265 yearly, in the gift of Charles Grevill, Esq., with residence and 42 acres of glebe land; the Rev. Henry Prowse Jones, M.A., is the incumbent. The church, a stone building, of the early perpendicular style, has a tower with 5 bells. The population, in 1851, was 148, and the acreage, 1,566. The soil is a stone-brash (oolite) and light clay. Edmund Hopkinson, Esq., is lord of the manor, and, with Earl Bathurst and Sir William Russell, is the chief landowner. There are charities of a few pounds’ yearly value.
Hopkinson Edmund, esq.
Jones Rev. Henry P., M.A. (Rector)
Blackwell William, stonemason
Gardner Nathaniel, farmer
Hatton Lewis, gardener to E. Hopkinson, esq.
James – , miller & farmer
Petworth William, shopkeeper
Wood Robert, farmer
Letters through Cirencester, which is also the nearest money order office.
Insurance Agent, N. Gardner
Parish School, Mrs. Smith, mistress
Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire with Bath and Bristol. Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., 19, 20 & 21, Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1856.