Daglingworth is a township, parish and village, in the Hundred of Crowthorne and Minety, Cirencester Union, East Gloucestershire, archdeaconry of Bristol, and bishopric of Gloucester and Bristol. It is situated 3 miles north by west from Cirencester, and near to the old road between that town and Gloucester. The living is a rectory, in the gift of the Lord Chancellor, value £250 per annum, with residence, and 60 acres of glebe land. The incumbent is the Rev. H. C. Raymond Barker, M.A. The church is a stone building in the Norman style, with square tower and 4 bells; it is supposed by some to have been dedicated to the Holy Rood, from the existence of a very ancient stone crucifix above the east window in the chancel. There is also an ancient stone cross standing in the churchyard. The extent of the parish is 1,880 acres, and the population, in 1851, was 320. The soil is a stone brash (oolite), and the subsoil, limestone rock. The principal landowners are Lord Bathurst (who is lord of the manor), Edward Haines, Esq., and William Hinton, Esq. There is a charity of £4 10s. annual value, for the education of children of the parish.
Barker Rev. Henry Chas. Raymond, M.A.
Hinton Mrs. Elizabeth
Bryan George, shoemaker
Curtis John, shopkeeper & baker
Edwards Richard, farmer
Hayward George, stonemason
Mace Daniel, blacksmith
Millington William, wheelwright
Moss John, butcher
Parsloe Ann (Mrs.), shopkeeper, beer retailer & baker
Parsloe William, butcher
Richardson James, baker & beer retailer
Wilton Thomas, shoemaker
Post Office. – Mrs. Eliza Mellington, receiver. Letters are received from Cirencester 8 a.m. & dispatched 6 p.m. The nearest money order office is at Cirencester.
Parish school, Mrs. Sarah Taylor, mistress.
Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire with Bath and Bristol. Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., 19, 20 & 21, Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1856.