Whittington, is a township, parish, and village, in Bradley Hundred, and Northleach Union, 4 ½ miles east-south-east from Cheltenham. The living is a rectory, in the Gloucester archdeaconry, and Gloucester and Bristol bishopric; income, £279; incumbent, the Rev. William Hicks, M.A.; the Rev. Thomas Charles Griffith, M.A., is his curate, who resides at the Rectory. The church is a small old building in the Norman style, with some additions of later years; it has a small gallery, chancel, and 1 bell, with several figures of Crusaders, and mural tablets to the Tracy and other families; patron, H. Wright, Esq. A school for boys and girls, was endowed and erected in 1830 by the late Mrs. Lightbourne, of Sandywell Park. The population, in 1851, was 233; the acreage is 1,422.
Syreford is a hamlet 1 mile south-east. .
Griffith Rev. Thomas Charles, M.A.
Boyce Samuel, farmer, Court farm
Caudle Benjamin, carpenter
Greening John, baker
Dyer Samuel, baker & miller, Mill, Syreford
Handy Edward, former, Syreford
Winstone Wm. parish clerk & school-master
Lovesy Justinian, farmer, Walley farm
Wood Edward, cattle dealer
Letters are delivered though Cheltenham, which is the nearest money order office.
School, Wm. Winstone, master; Mrs. J. Winstone, mistress
Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire with Bath and Bristol. Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., 19, 20 & 21, Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1856.