Staunton is a village and parish, 3 miles from Monmouth, 2 from Coleford, 13 from Ross, and 10 from Lydney station on the South Wales line of railway, in the Hundred of St. Briavells, diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, and Union of Monmouth. The church is a stone building, having a tower, centre and side aisles, chancel, nave and 5 bells. The living is a rectory, in the gift of Edward Machen, Esq., of the value of £150 per year; the Rev. Richard Davies, M.A., is the present incumbent. The acreage contained in the parish is 1,497 acres, and the rateable value £1, 610. The population, in 1851, was 194.
Davies Rev. Richard, M.A.,
Gibbon Alexander, esq.
Ansley John, farmer
Carver Sarah (Mrs.), ‘Royal Oak,’ & blacksmith
Davis Cheveril, been retailer & shopkpr
Harris Samuel, farmer
Jenkins Hercules, shopkeeper
Morgan Elizabeth (Mrs.), ‘White Horse’
Morgan Wm., shoemaker & postmaster
Powell James, shoemaker
Post Office – William Morgan, receiver. Letters are delivered at 11 a.m. & dispatched at ½ past 4 p.m. The nearest money order office is at Coleford.
National School, Miss Ellen Summerford, mistress
Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire with Bath and Bristol. Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., 19, 20 & 21, Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1856.