Salperton is a township, parish, and small village, 9 miles east from Cheltenham station, 9 west-south-west from Stow-on-the-Wold, and 5 north-west from Northleach, in Bradley Hundred, Northleach Union and electoral division, Gloucester archdeaconry, and Gloucester and Bristol bishopric. It is situated on the Cotswold hills. The church of All Saints is a small stone building in the early Norman style; has tower, nave, and chancel. The living is a perpetual curacy, worth £80 yearly, in the gift of Thomas Beale Browne, Esq.; the Rev. William Peachey Mellersh, M.A., is the incumbent. There is a day school, supported by T. B. Browne, Esq. Salperton Park is the seat of T. B. Browne, Esq. The population, in 1851, was 145, and the acreage is 1,340; rateable value, £1,278. The soil is loamy; the subsoil is the same. Thomas Beale Browne, Esq., is lord of the manor and chief landowner.
Browne Thomas Beale, esq. Salperton park
Cook Mr. Richard
Browne Thomas Beale, brick & tile pottery yard
Robins Edward, wheelwright
Silvey John, baker & maltster
Walker John, farmer
Yells Charles, farmer, Home farm
Letters received through Andoversford office. The nearest money order office is at Northleach.
Day School, Elizabeth Robins, mistress
Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire with Bath and Bristol. Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., 19, 20 & 21, Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1856.