Bulley is a township and small parish, 5 miles west from Gloucester, 11 south-east from Ross, and 4 ½ south from Newent. It is situated on the high road to Monmouth and Hereford, which intersects it from that of Churcham. It contains an area of 951 acres of very fertile land, which produces plentiful crops of grass, corn and fruit. The soil is a deep red loamy clay. The elm and oak grow luxuriantly here and in the neighbourhood. The parish of Bulley is in the duchy of Lancaster, in the Westbury Union, West Gloucestershire, the archdeaconry of Gloucester, deanery of the Forest, and diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. The benefice is a curacy annexed to Churcham; the incumbent is the Rev. George Charles Hall, M.A. The church is dedicated to Saint Michael, and consists of a nave and chancel, with a small low spire at the west end. The chancel arch of this church is a fair specimen of Saxon architecture. The south door is also of the same period. The population, in 1851, was 241, and the rateable value is £1,602.
Collard’s Elm, Pigeon House, Lake, and Wood Green are farms.
Bullock Charles, stonemason
Fisher Thomas, shoemaker
Havland William, slater & tiler
Hooper Jeremiah, frmr. Wood green frm
Humpidge William, farmer, Bulley frm
Perris William, farmer
Pocket George, shoemaker
Priday James, farmer, Lake farm
Rea John, carpenter
Rea William, carpenter & wheelwright
Roan Thos. farmer, Collard’s Elm farm
Stephens John, stonemason
Wilson William, farmer, Pigeon house farm
Letters through Minsterworth. Gloucester is the nearest money order office.
Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire with Bath and Bristol. Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., 19, 20 & 21, Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1856.