Buckland is a township, village and parish, 8 miles from Evesham station, on the Oxford, Worcester, and Wolverhampton line of railway, 3 miles from Broadway, 24 from Gloucester, and 93 north-west from London, in the lower division of the Hundred of Kiftsgate, and bishopric of Gloucester and Bristol, and Union of Winchcomb. The church is an old stone building, having a tower, aisles, chancel, and a musical ring of 6 bells. The living is a rectory of the value of £222 per year, in the gift of Sir Thomas Phillipps, Bart; the Rev. William Phillipps is the incumbent. The acreage contained in the parish, with the hamlet of Laverton, is 2,172 acres, and the rateable value £2,550. Sir Thomas Phillipps, Bart., is lord of the manor. The population, in 1851, was 368. There is a school for boys at Laverton, endowed by the Hon. James Phynne, with £30 per annum with house and garden.
Phillipps Rev. William, Rectory
Batsford William, farmer
Banning Robert, farmer
Collett Richard, blacksmith
Daffurn Thomas, shopkeeper, Laverton
Grimmitt William, carpenter, Laverton
Hughes Samuel, farmer, Laverton
Phillipps Charles & George, farmer, Laverton, Leasowes
Phipps George, farmer
Perrett – , farmer, Laverton
Rastalo Benjamin, shopkeeper
Richardson George, farmer, Laverton
Richardson Mary, farmer, Laverton
Stokes John, farmer, Laverton
Taylor William, farmer, Little Buckland
Wells Stephen, farmer
Letters are received through Broadway, which is also the nearest money order office.
Endowed School, Frederick Jackson Shailer, master
Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire with Bath and Bristol. Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., 19, 20 & 21, Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1856.