Bromsberrow, Bromsborough, anciently Brunmeberge, is a township, parish, and straggling village, containing 1,803 acres, the soil of which is very deep red sand, and subsoil marl, and is applied to the growth of rye generally, being better adapted to the production of that grain than wheat and beans. This township is intersected by a rivulet called the Glynch, on whose banks some rich meadow land is to be found. The Oldbury and other pears grow luxuriantly here, the soil being exceedingly favourable to the production of that fruit, which is particularly adapted to the manufacture of perry, for which this county is celebrated. Bromsberrow is situate on the borders of Worcestershire, distant 14 miles north-west from Gloucester railway station, and 6 north-north-east from Newent, in the Hundred of Botloe, Newent Union, West Gloucestershire, in the archdeaconry of Gloucester, deanery of the Forest, and in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Its population, in 1851, was 260; its rateable value being £2,922. Bromsberrow Place, the seat of Osman Ricardo, Esq., M.P., is a mansion of great extent, finished in a very superior and decorative style, and was formerly the property of the late Robert Dobyns Yate, Esq., being built on a pleasant site, commanding a beautiful prospect over the adjoining parishes. Brownsend, the residence and property of Thomas Webb, Esq., is also situate here. Fairfields is now occupied by Henry Moore, Esq., and Dick House by William Hawkins, Esq. The church of St. Mary is an ancient pile, but by some late repairs has been much modernised, and consists of a nave and chancel, with an embattled tower at the west end. The burial chapel, adjoining the chancel was erected by the late Walter Yate, Esq., in 1725. Some curiosities in painted glass were preserved, a few years ago, by the late Rev. Henry Dobyns Yate, LL.D., who was at that time the incumbent. The living is a rectory, valued at £339, with good residence and several acres of glebe land, being in the patronage of Earl Beauchamp. The Rev. Charles Hill, M.A., is the present incumbent, and the Rev. Charles Glynn, B.A., the curate. Here is an Infant school. Osman Ricardo, Esq., M.P. for the City of Worcester, is the chief landowner and lord of the manor.
Hill Farm, Pepper Mill, and Upper and Lower Brook End are places here.
Brooke Richard, esq.
Glynn Charles, B.A. (curate)
Hawkins William, esq. Dick house
Hill Rev. Charles, M.A. Rectory
Moore Henry, esq. Fairfields
Ricardo Osman, esq. M.P. Bromsberrow pl
Stallard William, esq. Bromsberrow crt
Webb Thomas, esq. Brownsend
Wintle Mrs. Mary, Tonies
Brookes James, grocer & carrier
Brooke Richard, farmer
Hancox John, blacksmith
Hawkins William, farmer
Heaven William, farmer
Howell John, farmer
Izard Henry, farmer, Hill farm
Jauncey James, miller, Pepper mill
Jauncey John, farmer, Low. Brook end
Jones John, farmer, Upper Brook end
Stallard Wm. farmer, Bromsberrow crt
Stokes John, farmer
Werrett Maria (Miss), mistress of infant school
Letters through Ledbury, which is also the nearest money order office
Infant School, Miss Maria Werrett, mistress
Carrier – Brookes, to Gloucester, Monday, Wednesday & Saturday, returning same days.
Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire with Bath and Bristol. Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., 19, 20 & 21, Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1856.