Beckford is a township, village, and parish, 4 miles north-east from Ashchurch station on the Bristol and Birmingham railway, 6 north-east from Tewkesbury, 6 north from Cheltenham, and 6 north-west from Winchcomb, in Tibbaldstone Hundred, Winchcomb Union, East Gloucestershire, Gloucester archdeaconry, and bishopric of Gloucester and Bristol. The village is situated on the river Carrant, a little of the high road from Tewkesbury to Evesham. The church of St. John the Baptist is an old building in the Norman style, and has two fine arches of that period, viz., the porch and chancel arch. It consists of nave, aisle, chancel, and handsome high tower in the middle, crowned with pinnacles, and contains a clock and a peal of 6 fine-toned bells. It has been lately repaired at great expense, and decorated in the interior. There are tow mural tablets, one to the Wakeman and one to the Timbrill families. The living is an endowed vicarage, with the chapelry of Ashton-under-Hill annexed, worth £400 yearly, with residence and 213 acres of glebe land, in the gift and incumbency of the Ven. Archdeacon Timbrill, D.D. Here is a Sunday school for children of both sexes, supported by the vicar. Beckford Hall, the ancient mansion of the Wakeman family, is now occupied by John Woodward, Esq. The grounds are fine; among other interesting features is an avenue of box, which has attained a great height and size; it is 160 yards in length, and would well repay a visit. A saline spring runs through the parish. The population, in 1851, was 450; acreage, 2,655; the soil is good, both arable and pasture, and consists of – first stratum (top of hill), oolite limestone; second, upper lias; third, marlstone; fourth (valley), lower lias. Walter Wakeman, Esq., is lord of the manor, and Mr. John Freeman, Edward Holland, Esq., the vicar, Edward B. Blackburne, Esq., and Miss Baldwin, and Samuel Gist, Esq., are chief landowners. There are charities of £20 yearly value given in bread to the poor, and £30 for such uses as the trustees think proper. Beckford comprises the hamlets of Grafton, Bangrove and Didcot.
Grafton is distant 1 mile north-east; Bangrove, 1 ½ miles south; and Didcot, 2 ½ miles east.
Badham George, esq.
Faulkner Rev. William
Nind John, esq.
Smith Mr. Job
Timbrill the Ven. Archdeacon, D.D. Vicarage
Woodward John, esq. Beckford hall
Burge Nathan, saddler
Carless James, Beckford inn
Clements Charles, tailor
Cotton Richard, parish clerk
Dunn Thomas, farmer
Foort Charles, shopkeeper, shoemaker & postmaster
Freeman Joseph, farmer
New Joseph & William, farmers
New Charles, carrier
New Charles M. farmer
Nind John, farmer
Osborne Thomas, wheelwright
Peart William, grocer & draper
Sanders William, blacksmith
Smith James, grocer &c.
Taylor Thomas, carrier
Wagstaff John, plumber & painter
Woodward John, farmer, Beckford hall
Smith Henry, farmer
Baylis John, carpenter
Crump John, farmer
Izard Sarah (Mrs.), farmer
Evans Joseph, farmer
Martin Thomas, farmer
Post Office. – Charles Foort, receiver. Letters arrive by foot-post from Tewkesbury post & money order office at 9 a.m.; dispatched 4 p.m.
Registrar of Births & Deaths, & Relieving Officer, Geo. Hemming Jackson, Winchcomb.
Parish Clerk, Richard Cotton
Police Station, Thomas Chandler, sergeant
St. John’s Church, the Ven. Archdeacon Timbrill, D.D. vicar
Carriers to: –
Tewkesbury – Thomas Taylor & Charles New, wed
Cheltenham – Thomas Taylor & Charles New, sat
Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire with Bath and Bristol. Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., 19, 20 & 21, Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1856.