Soller’s Hope is a parish, situate 6 miles from Ross, and 2 ½ from Fawley railway station, in the Hundred of Greytree, Ross Union, and Hereford archdeaconry and diocese. The church is a plain old stone building, with square tower containing three bells. The living is a rectory; the Rev. John Norgrave Baker, M.A., who resides at How Capel, is the rector. There is a Free School for boys and girls, and a school for children supported by subscriptions. The population, in 1851, was 147; acreage, 1,152. The soil is clayey and loamy, and the subsoil is limestone rock. Mrs. Ann Gregory Coleman, and Mrs. Catherine Holt are ladies of the manor. There are charities to the amount of £1 10s. annually.
Harstans, Rock, Whittlebury, Foxholes, Falcon, Lindalls, Grey Hill, Rugden, and Court, are farms.
Letters though Ross, which is the nearest money order office.
Brown John, farmer, Lindalls and Grey hill
Brown John, farmer, Whittlebury
Halford Charles, carpenter and wheelwright
Hartland Wm., farmer, Rock farm and Foxholes farm
Jones Wm., shoemaker and parish clerk
Mailes Andrew, butcher and farmer
Matthews Richard, farmer, Falcon
Matthews Wm., farmer, Rugden
Paine Edward, farmer, the Falcon
Slade Solomon, farmer, Harstans
Till Joseph, farmer, Court
Wilson Mrs. Elizabeth, day school
Wilson Wm., farmer
Source: Edward Cassey & Co.: History, Topography, and Directory of Herefordshire. Printed by William Bailey, 107, Fishergate 1858.