Dewsall, an exceedingly small parish, distant 2 miles east from Tram Inn station, on the Newport, Abergavenny, and Hereford line of railway, 4 south from Hereford, and 11 north-west from Ross; is situate on the Hereford and Ross road, in the Webtree Hundred, and Hereford Union, archdeaconry, deanery and bishopric. The church of St. Michael is a very old building, consisting of a nave, chancel, porch, and low tower having two bells; in the interior are three monuments to the Pearl family, whose sole heiress intermarried with the family of Buckingham and Chandos. The living is a vicarage, worth £120 yearly with residence and two acres of glebe land, in the gift of – Mynors, Esq., of Treago. The population, in 1851, was 30, the acreage being 676. the soil is red clay, the subsoil is gravel. The Governors of Guy’s Hospital are lords of the manor and chief landowners. There are no charities connected with this parish. The Duke of Buckingham formerly resided in this parish, the estate of whom was sold to the Governors of Guy’s Hospital. The principal inhabitants are the Rev. T. Phillips, and Peregrine Prince, Esq.
Source: Edward Cassey & Co.: History, Topography, and Directory of Herefordshire. Printed by William Bailey, 107, Fishergate 1858.