Bishopstone is a parish, 7 miles from Hereford station, 13 from Kington, and 13 from Hay, in Grimsworth Hundred, Weobly Union, Hereford archdeaconry and bishopric; it is situated to the north of the road from Brecon to Hereford. The church of St. Lawrence is a stone building of considerable antiquity in the pointed style, was repaired about 1854, and restored at considerable cost. It has a bell turret with two bells, two transepts, magnificent organ formerly belonging to Eton chapel, a beautiful encaustic tile pavement, east window by Warrington, of London, ancient monuments to the Berrington family, two recumbent figures, marble monument (with figures by P. Hollins), to the late Sarah Freer, font, and vestry. The living is a rectory, worth £196 14s. yearly, with residence and 54 acres of glebe land, in the gift of Sir Robert Price, Bart., M.P.; the venerable Richard Lane Freer, B.D., archdeacon and prebendary of Hereford, is the incumbent; the Rev. Rowland Hill, M.A., is the curate; the living is united by Act of Parliament to Yazor. There is an infant school for boys and girls, and the more advanced ones are received at the Manset [sic] Lacy school, and old moated farm-house, once the residence of the Berrington family. Bishopstone Hill commands a rich and beautiful view. A tessellated Roman pavement was discovered here in 1812, but has since been destroyed. The population, in 1851, was 280, and the acreage is 776. The soil is loamy; the subsoil is clay. Sir Robert Price, Bart., of Foxley, is lord of the manor, and he and Sir Henry Cotterell, are chief landowners.
Freer The Venerable Archdeacon Richard Lane, Rectory
Apperley John, wheelwright
Beavan John, boot and shoe maker, Bishon common
Blashill Henry, farmer and land steward, Downshill
Hancocks Barnabas, blacksmith, Bishon
Higgins Ann, boot and shoe maker
Lloyd William, farmer, Bishon
Perks John, Nelson Inn, Hereford road
Plant Joseph, farmer
Powell Thomas, farmer, Bishon hill
Stephens John, wheelwright
Source: Edward Cassey & Co.: History, Topography, and Directory of Herefordshire. Printed by William Bailey, 107, Fishergate 1858.