Birley is a small parish and village, 5 miles from Leominster station, 4 from Weobly (where the petty sessions are held), and about 10 from Hereford, in Stretford Hundred, petty sessional division of Weobly, and Weobly Union, and in the electoral division of Leominster, Hereford archdeaconry and bishopric. The church of St. Peter is an old stone building, partly Gothic, and was thoroughly repaired about 1854; it has a tower, chancel, and organ. The living is a vicarage, with that of King’s Pyon, worth £152 yearly, with about eight acres of glebe land, in the gift of Daniel Peploe Peploe, Esq., of Garnstone. Rev. John Birch Webb is the incumbent. There is a Free school for King’s Pyon and Birley parish. Mr. Thomas Croose Parry is the lord of the manor. The population, in 1851, was 172, and the acreage is 934. The soil is fertile.
Letters through Leominster, which is also the nearest money order office.
Alford John G., farmer, Thorne farm
Bengree Wm., Three Horse Shoes, Knapton
Brookes Joseph, blacksmith
Campbell John, shoemaker
Evans Thomas, farmer, Bucknell
Moore Thomas, carpenter and parish clerk
Morgan Wm., farmer, Plough farm, Knapton
Southall William, cooper
Parry Thomas Croose, farmer, Birley court
Taylor Mrs., Dawston
Source: Edward Cassey & Co.: History, Topography, and Directory of Herefordshire. Printed by William Bailey, 107, Fishergate 1858.