Ballingham, a small parish and straggling village, containing 149 inhabitants, is distant 9 miles south-south-east from Hereford, 5 north from Ross, 2 south from Holme Lacy railway station on the Hereford, Ross, and Gloucester railway, and 137 from London, and is situate on the banks of the river Wye, in Ross Union, Hereford archdeaconry and bishopric, and deanery of Irchenfield. The church is a small stone building, and consists of nave and chancel, with a tower and 3 bells. This tower is surmounted with a very neat and handsome spire, which has a pretty appearance in the distance, being visible above the trees by which it is surrounded. The living is a perpetual curacy, worth £165 annually, without residence, and in the patronage of Sir Edwin Francis Scudamore Stanhope, Bart., of Holme Lacy. Here is a National school for boys and girls. Sir E. F. S. Stanhope, is lord of the manor and chief landowner in this parish. From an eminence called Ballingham Hill a most commanding prospect is obtained of the winding course of the river Wye, also of the adjacent neighbourhood. There are no charities connected with this parish.
Letters arrive from Ross at 12 a.m., and are despatched thereto at ½ past 3 p.m. Ross is the nearest money order office.
Bishop Ann, mistress of National school
Bullock William, blacksmith
Day Joseph, farmer, Ballingham hall
Evans John, carpenter, and sub-postmaster
Pitt Thomas, farmer
Preece Edward, butcher, Carey
Prosser Thomas, Miner’s Arms, and shopkpr.
Smith John, farmer, Rock frm, & Carey court
Source: Edward Cassey & Co.: History, Topography, and Directory of Herefordshire. Printed by William Bailey, 107, Fishergate 1858.