City Road was opened on the 11th September, 1861, the first discourse being preached by the Rev. C. H. Spurgeon. The cost, including schoolroom, &c., was £5,000. The congregation formerly worshipped in the Pithay Chapel, the oldest in the city (built 1650, rebuilt 1719), now converted into a portion of Messrs. Fry’s factory.
Source: Arrowsmith’s Dictionary of Bristol. Edited by Henry J. Spear and J. W. Arrowsmith. Bristol 1884.