Cholera Visitations. In the year 1832 this dire epidemic visited Bristol. The first case occurred on July 11th, in Harford’s Court, near the Stone Bridge. The ravages of the disease were most deadly: up to the 9th of August 73 deaths had occurred in the city. A piece of ground near the Cattle Market was set apart as a place for the burial of the victims. On the 11th the plague was virulent in St. Peter’s Hospital, where 600 paupers were crowded, 58 girls sleeping in 10 beds and 70 boys in 18 beds. On the 12th the curate of Temple interred 31 persons, victims in that locality. A cholera hospital was erected on the New Cut, strenuous efforts were made to prevent the spread of the contagion, good food was supplied to the poor, and by the beginning of October the blue, or Indian-form of the disease, had disappeared. The visitation cost the city in direct expenses over £2,738. In 1866 the disease again broke out at six different places; these, by infection, increased to 26, but only 29 deaths occurred from this last visitation.
Source: Arrowsmith’s Dictionary of Bristol. Edited by Henry J. Spear and J. W. Arrowsmith. Bristol 1884.