Bull-baiting. The love of this brutal sport lingered in Bristol as late as 1822. The bull-ring was the open space in which the Church of St. Jude now stands. The inhabitants of that locality bore the name of “bull paunchers,” and the euphonious appellation still adheres to one of its lanes.
Source: Arrowsmith’s Dictionary of Bristol. Edited by Henry J. Spear and J. W. Arrowsmith. Bristol 1884.