Charlton Abbots is a small parish and village in Winchcomb union, containing by the census of 1861, 109, and in 1871, 91 inhabitants, and 1372 acres of land; 2 ½ miles south from Winchcomb, 7 east from Cheltenham, and 97 from London; in the deanery of Winchcomb, archdeaconry of Gloucester, diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, hundred of Kitts gate, East Gloucestershire. The vicarage, in the incumbency of the Rev. James E. Allcock, M.A., of Hawling Rectory, is valued at £50 per annum, and is in the patronage of H. Ingles Chamberlain, Esq., who is lord of the manor, impropriator of the rectorial tithes, and chief owner of the parish. The church is a square stone edifice, with tower and one bell. The rateable value of this parish is £1101.
Trades and Professions
Gibbs Frederick, farmer, Cotehay farm
Hanks John, farmer, Manor farm
Lane William, farmer, Holt farm
Lane William, parish clerk
Letters from Cheltenham via Andoversford. Winchcomb is the nearest money order office.
Morris & Co.’s Commercial Directory & Gazetteer of Gloucestershire with Bristol and Monmouth. Second Edition. Hounds Gate, Nottingham. 1876.