Buckland is a parish and village in Winchcomb union, containing, by the census of 1861, 355, and in 1871, 354 inhabitants, and 2172 acres; in the deanery of Campden, archdeaconry of Gloucester, diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, the lower division of Kiftsgate hundred, East Gloucestershire; 2 miles south-west from Broadway, 8 north-east from Evesham Station on the West Midland Railway, 24 north-east from Gloucester, and 93 from London. The rectory, in the incumbency of the Rev. William Phillips, B.A., is valued at £294 per annum, with residence, and is in the patronage of James Orchard Phillips, Esq., who is also lord of the manor and sole owner of the paribus. The church is an ancient edifice, dedicated to St. Michael, consisting of chancel and north and south aisles, with tower containing six bells. The rateable value of this parish is £3202.
Laverton is a hamlet of this parish, in which is a National School for boys, having an endowment of £50 per annum, with house and garden, given by the Hon. James Thynne.
Phillips Rev. William, B.A., The Rectory
Trades and Professions.
Ayliffe William, farmer, Buckland field
Banning Robert, farmer, Manor farm
Collett George, farmer
Grimmitt William, Carpenter, Laverton
Haines John, veterinary surgeon
Hughes Samuel, farmer, Laverton
Jeffrey Miss Catherine, National Schoolmistress
Miles Absalom, blacksmith and beer retailer
Phillips George, farmer, Laverton
Richards Mrs. Elizabeth, shopkeeper and beer retailer
Stokes Edward, farmer, Leasons
Stokes William, farmer, Laverton
Taylor William, farmer, Little Buckland
Wells Mrs. Elizabeth, farmer
Broadway is the pots town and nearest money order office
National School – Miss Catherine Jeffry
Cheltenham – James, Wed and Sat.
Evesham – Thomas Grimmitt and James, Monday
Morris & Co.’s commercial Directory & Gazetteer of Gloucestershire with Bristol and Monmouth. Second Edition. Hounds Gate, Nottingham. 1876.