Kinlet, with the township of Earnwood, is a parish and village, 8 miles from Kidderminster, 5 from Bewdley, and 4 ½ from Cleobury Mortimer, in the Southern division of the county, hundred of Stottesden, Cleobury Mortimer union, and diocese of Hereford, situated on the western bank of the river Severn. The church is a cruciform building of stone, in the Early Norman style; there are several fine mural monuments to the Childe and Blount families, and some richly stained glass in the chancel window; there is one canopied tomb, dated 1581, containing several figures in attitudes of prayer, and two altar-tombs of the 15th century, to former knights or lords of this place. The living is a vicarage, yearly value £360, with residence and 45 acres of glebe land, in the gift of W. L. Childe, Esq. Here is a school for children of both sexes, built and chiefly supported by W. L. Childe, Esq. William Lacon Childe, Esq., is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The soil is various; the subsoil chiefly freestone. The area is 6,692 acres, of which 1,179 are woods and water; the population in 1861 was 424; gross estimated rental, £6,474; rateable value, £5,985.
Letters are received through Bewdley.
Childe Rev. Edward George, M.A., J.P
Childe Wm. Lacon, esq., J.P., Kinlet hall
Childe William Lacon, jun., esq., J.P., Kinlet hall
Baxter Joseph, farmer, Bradley
Baxter Thos. cowkeeper, Button bridge
Blewitt William R., farmer, Mass house
Bourne William, farmer, Meaton
Bowen John, builder, &c.
Corbet Benjamin, farmer, Radfords
Dawes Henry, farmer, Winnal
Dudfield Benjamin, farmer, Catsley
Elcock Elizabeth, farmer, Winwoods
Elvins Henry, Eagle and Serpent inn
Fletcher John, farmer, Norton’s end
Horton Samuel, farmer and dealer
Jones George, farmer, Mines farm
Jones Richard, farmer, Tip house
Lawley John, farmer, Birch
Lawley Joseph, farmer and machine owner, Button bridge
Lawley Thomas, blacksmith
Mansell Thomas, farmer, Severn lodge
Nind John, farmer, Crump’s end
Rudd Wm., farmer, Hall of Hammonds
Rudd William, jun., farmer, Upper house
Teddstill Benjamin, farmer, Silligrove
Ward John, wheelwright
Source: Edward Cassey & Co.’s History, Gazetteer, & Directory of Shropshire. Printed Shrewsbury 1875.