Stapleton is a township in Presteigne parish (Radnorshire), on the road from Ludlow to Presteigne and on the Radnorshire border, about 14 miles west from Leominster and 1 ½ from Presteigne terminal station on the Leominster and Kington branch of the Great Western railway, in the Leominster division of the county, Kington division of Huntington hundred, Kington petty sessional division and rural district and Presteigne county court district. The inhabitants attend the church at Presteigne, of which ecclesiastical parish Stapleton forms a part. Here are the ruins of Stapleton Castle. The Presteigne cemetery is also in this parish. Electricity in available. Rain water is supplied by the Presteigne Water Co. Sir John Stanhope Arkwright D.L., J.P., who is lord of the manor, Alexander Mills Wilson, esq., J.P., Mr. David Morris Hughes and Mr. Howard Owens are the principal landowners. The soil is loamy; subsoil, gravel. The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats and turnips. The area is 1,336 acres of land and 8 of water; population in 1931, 139.
Letters through Presteigne, Radnor, nearest M. O. & T. office.
(For T N’s see general list of Private Residents at end of book.)
Barratt Capt. G. A., R.N. (ret.), J.P. (Radnorshire), Bryan’s Ground
Davies David Wm. Stapleton house
Dyke John, Castle cottage
Griffiths Miss, Stapleton cottage
Mackintosh James, The Cottage (postal address, Presteigne, Radnor)
Poole – , Glenview
Stubington H. Little Bryan’s Ground
Tapp Lt.-Col. James Hanson William D.S.O., R. A. Stapleton lodge
Wilson Alex. Mills J.P. Middlemoor
Marked thus * farm 150 acres or over.
Beaumont F. farmer, The Whym
Dyke John, farmer, Brook house
* Hughes David Morris, farmer, Stapleton Castle
* Owens Howard, frmr. The Up. Moor
Source: Kelly’s Directory of Herefordshire & Shropshire 1941, published by Kelly’s Directories Ltd 1941. Reproduced with the kind permission of the publishers Kelly’s Directories Ltd and Reed Business Information