Adderley Cassey Shropshire Directory 1875
ADDERLEY is a small village and parish, comprising the townships of Adderley, Shavington, and Spoonley, 181 miles by rail from London, and four north from Market Drayton, in the Drayton division of North Bradford hundred, Market Drayton union, Northern division of the county, and diocese of Litchfleld. The church of St. Peter is a stone building, which was rebuilt about 1800, with the exception of the tower and chapel; the latter is used as a mausoleum for the Kilmorey family ; there are several monuments and tablets to the Needham family, and a monument to the late Sir Corbet Corbet, Bart., and two brasses. The living is a rectory, in the gift of Richard Corbet, Esq., value £666 yearly, with good residence, and 16 acres of glebe land. The annual charities amount to £48. There is a school for boys and girls. Adderley Hall is the residence of Henry Reginald Corbet, Esq., J.P. Richard Corbet, Esq., is lord of the manor and chief landowner. The soil is sand and clay ; subsoil, gravel and sand. Upon the forfeiture of the Norman earls, this manor came into the hands of King Henry I., who gave it, along with Idsall, to Allan de Dunstanvill. Implicated in the rebellion of the Earl of Lancaster, Lord Badlesmere was taken prisoner at the battle of Boroughbridge, when, being convicted of high treason, the lord of Adderley was drawn, hanged, and beheaded. The area is about 3,940 acres; the population in 1861 was 428. Gross estimated rental, £6,820 ; rateable value, £6,413.
Letters arrive from Market Drayton at 9 15 a.m.; dispatched at 4 p,m.
Corbet Rev. Athelston, M. A.
Corbet Henry Reginald, esq. J.P., Adderley hall
Bennion Thomas Platt, farmer, The Lodge
Bourne John, farmer, Adderley Park farm
Duckers John, farmer, The Lees
Evanson John, farmer and farm steward, Adderley farm
Evanson Samuel, estate carpenter and builder
Groucott John, farmer
Hedley George, gamekeeper
Lee John, shoe maker
Lee Robert, farmer, Wems farm
Malam Thomas, farmer and butcher
Malam Thomas, jun,, Raven Inn, and farmer
Massey Edward, farmer. Pool house
Moore George, blacksmith & shopkeeper
Simons Joseph, blacksmith
Wilkinson George David, lime merchant
Young Thomas, farmer, Hawksmoor
Lea Samuel, farmer
Lewis William, farmer
Moore Thomas, farmer
Mulliner Thomas, farmer
Parker William, farmer
Reade William, farmer
Bourne Samuel, farmer
Davies Joseph, farmer
Lunt Martha, farmer
Williams Joseph, farmer
Source: Edward Cassey & Co.’s History, Gazetteer, & Directory of Shropshire. Printed Shrewsbury 1875.