Alberbury Cassey Shropshire Directory 1875
ALBERBURY is an extensive parish and village, 9 miles west from Shrewsbury station, and 12 from Welchpool, partly in Ford hundred, Salop, and partly in Deythur and Cawse hundreds, Montgomeryshire, Southern division of the county of Salop, Atcham union, rural deanery of Pontesbury, and diocese of Hereford. It is divided into Upper and Lower Quarters. The Upper Quarter consists of the townships of Great Wollaston, Bulthey, Winnington, and Trefnant, in Salop, and Uppington and Middletown, in Montgomeryshire. The Lower Quarter consists of the townships of Alberbury, Eyton, Little Shrawardine, Rowton, and Amaston, in Salop, and Bauseley and Criggion, with the hamlets of Coedway and Crewe Green, in Montgomeryshire; and each maintain their own poor. The parish church of St. Michael is an old stone building. The living is a vicarage, composition for vicarial tithes, £156 15s. 10d. yearly, with residence, and 32 acres of glebe land, in the gift of All Souls’ College, Oxford. There is a school for boys and girls, endowed with £3 8s. per annum by the Fellows of All Souls’ College. Adjoining the church are the ruins of an ancient castle. On Bausley Hill is a Roman encampment, and barrows are scattered about the parish. Loton park is the seat of Sir Baldwin Leighton, Bart., who is lord of the manor and principal landowner; and Rowton Castle, the seat of Lady Charlotte Lyster. The charities amount to £11. Alberbury Priory was founded by Fulk Fitzwarin, between the year 1220 and 1230. Pope Nicholas’s Taxation represents the priory of Alberbury’s annual income to be, in temporalities, £2 7s.; in moveables, £1 9s. Upon the breaking out of the great war with France, Edward III. seized the alien priory of Alberbury, which continued an escheat of the Crown until the time of Henry VI. This King, at the request of Chicheley, Archbishop of Canterbury, on the 11th of May, 1441, granted this suppressed priory, with all its tithes, advowsons of churches and chapels, &c., in free and perpetual alms to All Soul’s College, Oxford. The soil is light loam; subsoil, sand and clay. The population in 1861 was 1,918; the area is 9,599 acres; gross estimated rental, £9,300; rateable value, £8,600
Alberbury township, in Ford hundred and division, contains 3,143a, 3r. Sir Baldwin Leighton, Bart., is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The population in 1861 was 632
Braggington Hall, an old manison, erected in 1674, is now used as a farmhouse.
Rowton and Amaston are joint townships, in Ford hundred and division, distant respectively 1 ½ and 2 ½ miles south-east, and contain 1,522 acres. Lady Charlotte Lyster possesses the manorial rights, and is the principal landowner.
Little Shrawardine is a township, in Ford hundred and division, Shropshire.
Eyton is a township, in Ford hundred and division.
Ford is a township, partly in this parish, which gives name to the hundred and division.
Bauseley is a township in Deythur hundred, Montgomeryshire. Contains 1,685 acres. The population in 1861 was 404.
Wollaston, Bulthey, Trefnant, and Winnington, townships, with Middletown and Uppington, in Montgomeryshire, form the ecclesiastical parish of Great Wollaston, and will be found under that heading.
Letters arrive from Shrewsbury at 8 a.m.; dispatched at 5-20 p.m.
Criggion, in Cawse hundred, Montgomeryshire, 4 miles distant from Alberbury, is now an ecclesiastical parish. The church is a brick building with square tower. The living is a vicarage, annual value £147, in the gift of Valentine Vickers, Esq. Valentine Vickers, Esq., is the chief landowner. The soil is loam; subsoil, clay. The area is 2,401 acres, and the population in 1861 was 187.
Letters arrive through Shrewsbury.
Leighton Sir Baldwin, bart. J.P. Loton park
Leighton Baldwin, esq. J.P. Loton park
Leighton Stanley, esq. Loton park
Mitchell Rev. Josiah M.A. Vicarage
Severne Rev. William, Whiston priory
Bromley Thomas, farmer, Shrawardine
Campbell Robert, farm bailiff
Crane John, farmer, Benthall
Davenport Benjamin, farmer, Amaston
Davenport William, farmer, Benthall crss
Derwas Thomas, farmer, Hayes
Evans Griffith, tailor
Evans Thomas, farmer, Bragginton hall
Groves Samuel, farmer
Haywood Philip, farmer & malster, Red abbey
Jones David, fanner, Lower house, Eyton
Jones Evan, farmer, Upper house, Eyton
Jones John, head gamekeeper, Old Weir
Jones John, farmer, The Hole farm
Jones William E. farmer, The Hole farm
Kempster Richard, farmer, Lowerhouse
Large James, Dragon inn, and farmer
Llewellyn John, farmer, Lower wood
Marsh Walter, tailor, Stanford
Morris David, farmer, Bragginton
Morris Thomas, farmer, Paddock
Morris William, farmer, White abbey
Plumley Henry, farmer, Hilly house
Rogers Elizabeth (Miss), shopkeeper
Smith Edwin, farmer
Smith John K. farmer
Wilde Richard, farmer, Hayes
Lyster Lady Charlotte, Rowton castle
Bolton William, gamekeeper
Brown Ann, Windmill inn and farmer
Clements Robert, steward
Clemson John, farmer, Park farm
Cooper Thomas, estate carpenter and builder, Rowton castle
Dorricott Richard, farmer, Stretton heath
Jones John, farmer
Jukes Richard, farmer
Munday William, head gardener, Rowton castle
Poulter William, blacksmith
Poulter William, basket maker
Smout Richard, farmer
Vass Henry, coachman, Rowton castle
Source: Edward Cassey & Co.’s History, Gazetteer, & Directory of Shropshire. Printed Shrewsbury 1875.