Last Updated on

ALBRIGHTON is a village and parish, 8 miles north-west from Wolverhampton, 11 north-east from Bridgnorth, about 22 from Shrewsbury, and 148 ¾ by rail from London, in the Southern division of the county, Shifnal division of Brimstree hundred, Shifnal union, and diocese of Lichfield, situated on the road from Wolverhampton to Chester. The church of St. Mary Magdelene, supposed to have been built in the thirteenth century, is a stone building, which has been restored in the Decorated style, and has several monuments, one of which, standing outside the church, is of the Early English period of architecture, and belongs to the thirteenth century. The living is a rectorially endowed vicarage, yearly value £625, with residence and about 25 acres of glebe land, in the gift of the Haberdashers’ Company and Christ’s Hospital alternately. ” Ralph de Pichford in 1232 fined 40s. with the Crown, for the privilege of holding a market and fair at his manor of Albrighton, for which he obtained the king’s charter, and in 1284 he gave the king the large sum of 300 merks to have marriage of the heirs, and custody of the lands in Ireland, of John Fitz-Dermot.” A school was built for boys and girls in 1856. The charities are of about £70 yearly value. At Pepperhill, on the south-west border of the county, in this parish, is an old mansion belonging to the Talbot family, and now in the possession of the Earl of Shrewsbury and Talbot; it stands on a well wooded eminence, and is built of brick on a base of red sandstone; in the garden is a stone fountain, supposed to have been once an oratory; it is Italian in character and design, but much decayed. In the parish register is recorded the burial of the Duke of Shrewsbury, under date February 23rd, 1717, no place being mentioned, but from this entry it is inferred that he may have resided at Pepperhill. There were formerly several fairs held here, but they have been discontinued for some years. In this parish are the Wolverhampton Water Works. The Earl of Shrewsbury and Talbot, who is lord of the manor, the Earl of Dartmouth, George Jones Barker, Esq., John Jones, Esq., and George Robinson, Esq., are the principal landowners. The soil is rich loam; the subsoil is partly clay and marl and red sandstone. The charities amount to £82. The population of the parish in 1861 was 1,155 ; the area is 3,271 acres; gross estimated rental, £10,316; rateable value, £8,800.
Post Office.—Thomas Hammersley, postmaster. Letters arrive from Wolverhampton at 6-56 a.m.; dispatched at 7-14 p.m.

Registrar of Births and Deaths, Richard Dickins.

Railway Station, Willian O’Beirne, station master.

Barker George Jones, esq. J.P, Albrighton hall

Bishton Rev. Henry

Boulton Mr. William

Briscoe John Edward, esq

Bucknall George, esq

Burd Mrs. Joy house

Corbett Mr. Richard

Dallow Thomas, esq

Davis James, esq

Dulley Joseph, esq

Fielding Charles R. esq. Rose cottage

Isaac Rev. Charles Powys, M.A.

Jeavons Joseph, esq. Harriet’s hayes

Lamb Barnabas W. esq

Law Mr. Richard

Miller Mr. Richard, Whiston grange

Pace William, esq. Harriet’s hayes

Roberts John, eaq

Sheppard Mrs

Sutton Mr. William

Urry Richard, esq

Walton Fredok.  esq.   J.P. St. Cuthbert’s

Woodhouse Rev. George Windus, M.A. Rectory

Austin Frederick, butcher

Austin George, maltster

Bailey George, maltster

Bailey John, farmer, Parkside

Beck Henry, grocer

Boulton John, farmer, Bowling green

Boulton John, farmer, The Elms

Boulton William, manure agent

Bucknall William, Crown inn & farmer

Butler William, wheelwright

Caddick Isaac, farmer, High house

Clewley Edward, Shrewsbury arms

Comley George, linen draper

Cottrill Thomas, tailor

Dallow Thomas, solicitor

Duncalfe George C. coal dealer, &c

Eardley William, saddler

Ferney James, tailor

Fletcher Thomas, boot & shoe maker

Forshaw John, linen draper

Hammersley John, shopkeeper

Hammersley Susanna, milliner

Harris Henry, plumber, &c

Howell Thomas, blacksmith

Husselby William, bailiff to the Earl of Dartmouth

Jeavons Joseph, fanner

Lamb Barnabas W. surgeon

Meredith John, plumber

Molineux George, grocer

Moore Henry, farmer, Beamish

Moore Paul, higgler

Morris David, ale & porter agent

Morris Thomas, watch & clock maker

Nickolds Edward, bricklayer

Nickolds Thomas, watch & clock maker

Pace William, farmer

Pearce Hannah, Old Bush inn

Perks John, butcher

Perry John, butcher

Pugh John, Whiston Cross, Whiston cross

Russell Benjamin, tailor

Shepherd Richard, miller, Cosford

Stanley William, shoe maker

Stubbs  William  H.   farmer,  Cosford grange

Stevens Hunt, ladies’ boarding school

Sutton William, wheelwyight [sic]

Taylor John, shoe maker, New house

Taylor William, shoe maker, New house

Tomkins John, grocer

Totty George, bricklayer

Ward John, blacksmith

Weatherby Andrew, contractor, &c

Webster   Frederick   Taylor, farmer, Bishton hall

Wedge Daniel, boot maker

Wheeler Bessy, carrier

Wiggins Fanny, beer retailer

Windsor Elizabeth, milliner

Wolverhampton  Waterworks (Joseph Crowther, manager), Cosford

Source: Edward Cassey & Co.’s History, Gazetteer, & Directory of Shropshire. Printed Shrewsbury 1875.