Ashford Bowdler Cassey Shropshire Directory 1875
ASHFORD BOWDLER is a parish, two miles from Ludlow, in the Southern division of the county, Lower division of Munslow hundred, Ludlow union, and diocese of Hereford; it is pleasantly situated on the river Teme, and on the Shrewsbury and Hereford Railway. The church of St. Andrew was thoroughly repaired and repewed about 1850, at the sole expense of the late C. Walker, Esq., then patron of the living, and was again restored a few years since, and a handsome east window of stained glass, presented by F. W. Pritchard, Esq.; it contains several monuments. The living is a vicarage, annual value of £73, in the gift of F. W. Pritchard, Esq. The soil is strong loam, clay and gravel, and the pasturage very good. The principal landowners are F. W. Pritchard, Esq., and Sir Edward Russell. The charities amount to 30s. The population in 1861 was 106; and the area is 585 acres; gross estimated rental, £1,900 ; rateable value, £1,500. Letters are received through Ludlow.
Bowen Mr. James Thomas, Yew Tree cottage
Marriott John, esq., Ashford hall
Pritchard Francis Wood, Esq., Ashford grove
Thomas Mrs., Church house
Broome Robert, farmer
Dyke Mary, farmer
Froggatt Isaac, farmer, Feather Knole
Harper Thomas, farmer
Powis Thomas Gitton, farmer
Source: Edward Cassey & Co.’s History, Gazetteer, & Directory of Shropshire. Printed Shrewsbury 1875.