Elmstead is an Ancient Parish in the county of Essex.
Other places in the parish include: Elmstead Market
Parish church: St. Anne and St. Laurence
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1557
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1639; 1802
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist and Wesleyan Methodist Reform.
- Great Bromley
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
ELMSTEAD, a village and a parish in Tendring district, Essex. The village stands near the Roman Stone-street, 2¾ miles SSE of Ardleigh r. station, and 4 E by N of Colchester; and has a post office under Colchester, and a fair on 15th May. The parish comprises 3,644 acres. Real property, £5,211. Pop., 953. Houses, 215. The property is subdivided. E. Hall is a chief residence. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £310. Patron, Jesus’ College, Cambridge. The church is ancient; and there are a Wesleyan chapel and a national school.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Tendring
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Colchester
Diocese: Pre-1846 – London, Post-1845 – Rochester
Rural Deanery: Pre-1847 – Tendring, Post-1846 – Ardleigh
Poor Law Union: Tendring