Last Updated on
Cressage is a parish and village, and station on the Severn Valley Railway, eight miles from Shrewsbury, and four from Much Wenlock, in the Southern division of the county, Condover hundred, Atcham union, Shrewsbury county court district, rural deanery of Condover, archdeaconry of Salop, and diocese of Lichfield, situated on the river Severn, and the Shrewsbury and Bridgnorth turnpike road. Christ Church is a stone building, was erected in the year 1841, at a cost of £1,400. The living is a rectory, yearly value £250, with glebe land, in the gift of the Rev. Henry Thursby Pelham, M.A. Here a Parochial school, built in 1858, with an endowment of 50s. annually, arising from land, with house attached. There is a Wesleyan chapel, built in 1854. The charities are of the annual value of 30s. The Duke of Cleveland, K.G., who is lord of the manor, and Sir H. G. Harnage, Bart., are the principal landowners. The soil is loamy; the subsoil gravely. The area is 1,900 acres, and the population in 1861 was 356; gross estimated rental, £2,886; rateable value, £2,689. The village is the birth place of Thomas Lodge, who settled in London as a grocer, accumulated great wealth, and rose to the civic honour of Lord Mayor in the year 1562.
Post Office, William Dorricut, postmaster. Letters through Shrewsbury arrive at 9 a.m.; dispatched at 4 10 p.m.
Buck Henry J., esq.
Burd Rev. Frederick, M.A
Buck Henry J., surgeon
Dorricott William, tailor and postmaster
Downes Alfred, Crown Inn
Edwards John, farmer, The Buildings
Harris Joseph, wheelwright & carpenter
Hill Aaron, shoe maker
Holmes William, Eagle Inn & farmer
James William, joiner
Jones Hugh, grocer
Morris Elizabeth, farmer
Mullard Edward, blacksmith and parish clerk
Pinkney John, manure manufacturer
Pinkney Joseph, farmer
Preece John, farmer
Tudor Joseph, butcher and farmer
Williams Robert, saddler and harness maker, and warfinger
Source: Edward Cassey & Co.’s History, Gazetteer, & Directory of Shropshire. Printed Shrewsbury 1875.