Kemberton Cassey Shropshire Directory 1875



Kemberton is a parish and village, two and a half miles south from Shifnal, three and a half east from Ironbridge, and thirteen from Wolverhampton; it is in the Southern division of the county, Shifnal division of Brimstree hundred, Shifnal union, and diocese of Lichfield.  The Shifnal and Bridgnorth turnpike roads intersect the parish.  The church of St. John is a brick building, with square tower.  The living is a rectory, with the vicarage of Sutton Maddock annexed, joint annual value £550, with residence and 60 acres of glebe land, in the gift of the representatives of the late Captain William Kenyon-Slaney.  There is a day school for boys and girls.  The manorial rights are held by the Slaney family.  The principal landowners are the Slaney family and Lord Sudeley.  The soil is principally good; subsoil, red sandstone.  The population in 1861 was 244; the area is 1,500 acres; gross estimated rental, £2,597; rateable value, £2,335.

Letters arrive at 7 30 a.m.

Onions Mr. John
Powell Rev. William
Spencer Mr. Thomas
Boulton John, butcher
Evans John, carpenter
Gough Thomas, wheelwright
Hammonds Edward, miller
Harper Thomas, Mason’s Arms
Harper William, farmer
Hewlett James, farmer
Hayward Benjamin, gardener and seedsman
Lumbley Charles George, farmer
Madeley Wood Co., coal proprietors
Parsons Sarah, farmer
Thomas John Ford, farmer
Vaughan William, blacksmith
Williams William, tailor
Yate Joseph and Son, farmer
Yates Elizabeth, farmer

Source: Edward Cassey & Co.’s History, Gazetteer, & Directory of Shropshire. Printed Shrewsbury 1875.