Last Updated on

Kenley is a parish and village, four miles from Much Wenlock, and five from Dorrington station, in the Southern division of the county, Cound division of Condover hundred, Union of Atcham, and diocese of Lichfield, and is situated on a steep hill, commanding a very fine view.  The church of St. John the Baptist is in the Norman style.  The living is a rectory, yearly value £130, with 29 acres of glebe land, in the gift of the Duke of Cleveland.  The Caradoc and Wrekin Hills, also the ruins of Wenlock and Buildwas Abbeys, are in the vicinity.  The Duke of Cleveland, who is lord of the manor, and the Earl of Bradford, are the chief landowners.  The soil is of a cold nature; subsoil, clay.  Its area is 1,899 acres; the population in 1861 was 235; gross estimated rental, £1,500; rateable value, £1,411.

Letters are received through Shrewsbury.

Broom Rev. Frederick
Bayley Thomas, farmer, Hall farm
Brazier Thomas, cowkeeper
Butler Joseph, farmer, Stone house
Carter George, farmer, Leasowes
Carter Mary Ann, shopkeeper
Crowther Ann, farmer
Farmer James, farmer, New hall
Hall Thomas, farmer, The Springs
Hanson George, farmer
Jarratt John, farmer
Manning Thomas, shoe maker and tax collector
Patten Ellen, farmer, The Gippoles
Patten George, farmer, The Gippoles
Perks William, blacksmith
Price John, farmer, The Springs
Price Thomas, tailor, Common
Roberts Jane, farmer, Alison house
Roberts Thomas, stone mason
Sankey Richard, farmer, Broomcroft
Smout Edward, wheelwright and shopkeeper
Thomas Thomas, tailor, The Glebe

Source: Edward Cassey & Co.’s History, Gazetteer, & Directory of Shropshire. Printed Shrewsbury 1875.