Mainstone is a parish partly in Salop and partly in Montgomeryshire, comprising the townships of Castlewright, Edenhope, Knuck, and Reilth 4 ½ miles from Bishop’s Castle railway station, and 11 from Craven Arms station, in the southern division of the county, hundreds of Clun and Purslow, Clun union, and diocese of Hereford. From Bishop’s Moat (an ancient earthwork) a commanding view of the country for many miles round is obtained. Offa’s Dyke intersects the parish, and separates England from Wales. The church of St. John the Baptist is a neat old stone building, situated in a narrow valley at the foot of Clun Forest. The living is a rectory, yearly value £343, in the gift of the Lord Chancellor. A school at Churchtown for girls and boys is supported partly by subscription. The charities are of £6 yearly. The Earl of Powis is lord of the manor; and the representatives of the late B. Botfield, Esq., H. Lister, Esq., the Rev. J. Harrison, and the Rev. J. Lloyd are chief landowners. The charities are of the yearly value of £3 17s. 0d. The soil is chiefly loam; subsoil is stone and gravel. The population in 1861 was 365, with an area of 3,343.a Or. 4p. ; gross estimated rental, £2,171; rateable value, £1,911.
Edenhope is a township, adjoining Mainstone.
Knuck is a township, adjoining Mainstone.
Reilth is a township, distance half a mile from Mainstone.
Castlewright is a township, in the parish of Mainstone, but in the county of Montgomery, with l, 331 acres, and a population in 1861 of 145.
Letters are received through Bishop’s Castle.
Beddoes John, farmer
Chester Joseph, farmer, Cwm Frydd
Huffer Thomas, farmer
Jones Edward, farmer
Morris George, blacksmith
Morris George, wheelwright
Powell Thomas, shoe maker
Davies Barzelah, farmer, Pant Glas
Jones Mary, farmer
Jones Benjamin, farmer
Thomas William, farmer, Lower Dolfawr
Evans Richard, farmer
Llewellin Edward, farmer, Cwm Colbatch
Lloyd George, landowner & farmer
Owen Thomas, farmer, Hetfield
Sankey Richard, landowner & farmer
Venables Thomas, farmer, Hill end
Source: Edward Cassey & Co.’s History, Gazetteer, & Directory of Shropshire. Printed Shrewsbury 1875.